28 Jan 2012

Exiled

Exiled (Immortal Essence, #1)

TITLE: Exiled

AUTHOR: Rashelle Workman

SERIES: Immortal Essence #1

PAGES: 340 (Kindle)

PUBLISHER: Polished Pen Press

             MORE INFO








This is another example of a book where I have a hard time making up my mind. For the most part, I fully agree with the 3.5 stars I gave it, yet there are still some negative things I just can’t stop thinking about.

I’m not trying to be harsh here, or stereotypical, but most of us would assume that a book available for $1 on Kindle probably isn’t the most…refined. And I will admit, there were a few grammatical errors that an editor should have spotted, and the writing wasn’t as polished as some other books, but overall it was quite sound. Though lacking some of the poetical language and sweeping descriptions, Exiled was good in that it gave a clear picture without masses of fluff, little details being all that were needed to bring the story to life.

One of things that kind of slightly spoiled it for me was my constant embarrassment on Venus’s behalf. As her Guardians or Protectors or whatever, Zaren and Dervinius (is that how you spell it?) could read her mind, and due to her often…lusty thoughts about particularly Zaren, and sometimes Michael, I found myself constantly aware that both of them of could hear her. In fact, sometimes I would just skip ahead a page or so when her mind started on that track, just so I wouldn’t have to experience that sympathetic embarrassment and could focus on the story. It might be nothing for some readers, but for me, as a person who is always conscious of other’s feelings, this was a bit awkward.

Anyways, back on to the good. I genuinely really liked Michael, he might act tough, but he was so sweet to Venus when she needed help. Within the first few pages of his chapter it was easy to see why he became like this, and he stirred up a strong sympathy that if not endeared him to you, it at least made you soften towards him. Workman did a good job of working in a little mystery about his heritage with all the other goings on, and though I don’t know with concrete certainty (which is another plus for the author) I have a theory running around inside my head about what it is.

Perhaps not the most amazing novel you’ve ever read, Exiled is still a great start to a new series from Rashelle Workman, centred in the more uncommon world(s) of aliens and outer space. It’s certainly worth more than the $1 I paid for it on Kindle, and I will most certainly be reading the sequels when they are published.

No comments:

Post a Comment