10 Oct 2011

The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton




TITLE: The Faerie Ring

AUTHOR: Kiki Hamilton

SERIES: Faerie Ring #1

PUBLISHER: Tor Teen

PAGES: 352 (Hardcover)









The Faerie Ring is a captivating novel, full of adventure, magic, fantasy, and an enchanting romance all set in Victorian London. Though I had been wanting this book for months and wished to savour it, I couldn’t stop myself from blazing through it in one sitting, and I honestly didn’t want it to end!
There’s so many genres mixed up in this novel, historical – which is beautifully depicted and obviously well researched, paranormal, romance, family…with all of these underlying ideas, you think it would be a mess, but Kiki manages to expertly weave fantasy and reality together to make something amazing and believable.

Though the usage of faeries as a main plot type has increased noticeably over the past couple of years, Ms. Hamilton’s fresh idea brings a unique feel to the story, and I was as intrigued as if it she’d used something I’d never heard about before. She did a wonderful job at building her world and the plan of her story, and even I, the laziest ass on earth, wanted to know what the heck was up with this ring and Tiki’s weird birth marks.

And the actual characters, you ask? Well, who couldn’t love Tiki and her ‘family’ of adorable ragamuffins? I loved how obvious it was she cared about them, and the things she did without hesitation, even if she knew there would be dire consequences, only increased my compassionate fondness for her. Then of course there is the mysterious Rieker, who has a spectacular talent for infuriating Tiki and making her heart race at the same time. Though from the very beginning I had him pegged for being much more than he seemed, as the story unfolded I found myself being constantly surprised at each new twist.

This is, without a doubt, a fabulous debut novel that lived up to my every expectation (and they were pretty high). The plot in itself will keep you on the edge of you seat, and if you add in the complex layers of poverty, beautiful fae, heart pounding romance and stand out characters you have one great start to a highly anticipated series.

No comments:

Post a Comment